Thursday, June 26, 2014

Final Thoughts on the Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san Anime


When I first wrote about this series here, I said that I expected it to remain pretty much the same, and it did. This show added a couple characters to its roster of high schoolers who are walking animal puns- Sarutobi Sora ("saru" = "monkey"), who likes bananas, but otherwise isn't monkey-like and wants to keep it that way, thank you very much; and Torikai Hibari ("tori" = "bird"), who... umm, is sickly and acts like she's a ghost? I think this show's author started getting sick of his own premise when he introduced these two.

Anyway, this show, totaling twelve three and a half minute long episodes, remains pretty much the same high school slice-of-life as before, with an ending that actually progresses Inugami and Nekoyama's relationship more than I expected. I also like that even though the thing that is supposed to make Ushiwaka cow-like is her big boobs, which is bleh, the show doesn't do anything with that gag beyond its initially being mentioned, and doesn't service her up. I also like that the characters don't look younger than their ages, which is unfortunately noteworthy for their genre. (It's more apparent in the series than in the promo art.)

Anyway, I can't say I really care about any of these characters- although I like Inugami's heart-on-her sleeve enthusiasm- but at its short run time, this series was a decent light watch. I like it more than Yuru Yuri, and understand that it's yuri-er than the manga it adapts, which is a trend I highly approve of. I only read a couple chapters of the manga myself. The manga was alright, but I'm pickier with my yuri manga than my yuri anime because I have a lot more to choose from there, although I'm not above enjoying stuff that isn't exactly high art in that format.

Anyway, this series is still just alright, but if you want an energetic light gag show delivered in bite-sized dozes with a lot of dad jokes and a decent amount of yuri, this is an entertaining hour's worth of anime.

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san is streaming on Crunchyroll, available worldwide everywhere except Japan.

3 comments:

ET0TSUKI said...

I really like your review.
Actually, I' following your blog since years now and I never commented on anything. I hope it will change now! :D
I'm totaly into yuri. But since there are only a handful of yuri anime, I can't make any complaints about any yuri anime since I have to be happy that there is actually a new yuri, at all.
But this time, I'm so suspicious since this anime is about animals.. I really don't know how I should put it.
Same goes for Sakura Trick. I watched the first episode and I just can't take it seriously and rather like a waste of time.
I still don't know what to think about Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san but maybe I'll give it a try.

Overlord-G said...

Got a lot of "Pretty good, but should have been longer" comments and I somewhat agree as the show progressed but at first I said "Too much of a good thing is bad". In any case, although short, it was a most pleasant viewing.

Katherine Hanson said...

@N☆WAKI- I'm glad you liked the review, and happy you like my blog also! =)

Yeah, the pickings for yuri anime are pretty slim. And I'm with you on the animal pun aspect of this show not doing much for me- although if you do decide to try the show and don't care for it, at least it won't be a waste of too much time. lol I actually thought Sakura Trick had a cute underlying story, just painted with some pretty awful execution choices.

@Overlord-G- The show's length actually worked well for me- if it had been much longer, it probably would have overstayed its welcome.